Wednesdays, March 29 to April 26, 2023 from 6:00 pm to 7:30 pm (Five classes).
Class is held in the Studio at Purlin' J's Yarn Emporium, 2-675 Arlington Park Place, Kingston, Ontario.
Maximum 6 participants.
Join us for a five-evening series of classes where knitters learn the basics of pullover sweater knitting. In this class, we will swatch for and cast-on the Wave of Change Pullover. It is an easy-to-wear sweater in adult sizes that will integrate beautifully into your wardrobe!
Knitters can expect to start the sweater, have instructor guidance and supervision through the more challenging areas of the project, and finish the series equipped with the skills required to finish the project at home.
A gentle note from the instructor: The sweater series class involves knitting homework, particularly after classes 3 and 4. Please ensure you are able to dedicate time to your project outside class hours so you can maximize your learning experience!
- Independent casting on, binding off, knitting, purling, weaving in ends
- Willingness to learn from others in a collaborate environment
- Independently able to knit in the round
- Independently able to use Magic Loop technique or double-pointed needles
- Experience reading written patterns
- Completion of smaller projects involving increases and decreases (such as socks, hats or mittens)
This class is not suited to beginner knitters, or knitters who do not have experience reading written knitting patterns. At the Yarn Emporium we have beginner classes!
Yarn: Suggested yarn is Estelle Outback Chunky. Purchase the full amount needed for your desired size prior to the start of the class. And please purchase an extra skein/ball if you are tall, or if you love long, cozy sweaters!
If you choose to use different yarn than the recommended, please select a Chunky weight 100% wool, wool acrylic blend, or smooth acrylic yarn.
Other Materials Required:
- A printed copy of the pattern, pencil, and highlighter
- Stitch markers (at least 6, large enough to fit over your 6 mm needle)
- Yarn/tapestry needle
- a 6 mm circular, min. 32" knitting needle*
*This is the suggested needle size for the pattern. In class 1, we focus on swatching, and determine the needle sizes each knitter will require from there. If you know you are a very tight knitter, plan to bring a larger needle size (e.g. 6.5 mm or 7 mm) for your swatch for the first class; If you know you are a very loose knitter, bring a 5.5 mm needle. Yarn Emporium staff can assist you with choosing the correct needles for your project.
Optional, Helpful Materials:
- Needle stoppers
- Barber cords
- Class 1: Swatching in the round - why we swatch, and how to swatch in the round
- Class 2: Learning from your swatch and casting on your sweater! You can expect to learn your required needle size in class 2. Plan to have your required needles in this class.
- Class 3: Increases in a raglan style sweater Optional: the sweater includes short row shaping, an intermediate shaping technique. You can choose to add this to your sweater or omit.
- Class 4: Separating for sleeves and establishing the knitted body of your sweater
- Class 5: Picking up sleeve stitches, knitting sleeves
About the Instructor:
Kait Proudfoot is a wife, dog mom, passionate knitter, and beginner spinner. She has been teaching knitting formally since 2019, but have taught many friends to knit over her 22 years of knitting. Her favourite things to knit are socks and colourwork sweaters. When she is not knitting, she loves to bake bread, garden, and cycle.
Refund Policy: Please provide 48 hours cancellation notice before the first class in order to be eligible for a refund.